In 1919 a businessmen's club was formed in Wayne Michigan called the Wayne Noon Lunch Club. The next summer, Allen Alberts, a past president of Rotary International, was invited to speak at the club luncheon. He was impressed at the community projects the club had already achieved and suggested that the club should be a Rotary club. He was told that the club had applied for membership, but had been rejected because clubs were not allowed in towns of less than 5,000 in population. Alberts offered a resolution changing the population rule at the next Rotary International convention in Edinburgh, Scotland. The resolution was adopted, and in January of 1922 the club became the Wayne Rotary Club, the first Rotary Club in a town of less than 5,000. Had this not occurred, there might not be a Plymouth Rotary Club today.
On the night of March 6, 1924, Plymouth Superintendent of Schools, George "Pop" Smith and several Plymouth businessmen met with Dr. Edward Lee of the Wayne Rotary Club to learn more about Rotary. They decided to form a Rotary club under the sponsorship of the Wayne Club. Twenty-three men signed up and four days later, March 10, 1924, Rotary International accepted their application. District 18 Governor Paul King presented the charter to the club on April 19, 1924.
George Smith was chosen as the first president of the Plymouth Rotary Club. The first meetings were held in the basement of the Penniman-Allen building, then moved to the old Masonic Club dining room in the new Masonic Temple, then to the auditorium of the high school and then to the Lutheran Church where it met weekly until the Mayflower Hotel opened in 1927. In 1967 meetings were moved across the street to the newly refurbished Meeting House when it was apparent the club had outgrown space available in the hotel. As an aside, the same chef, Curtis Langdon, prepared the meals for more than 40 years, starting from the time the hotel opened. In 1999, after 72 years of meeting in the Mayflower Hotel and Meeting House, the club meeting place was changed to the Plymouth Cultural Center.